Volunteers are the heart of St. Petersburg Free Clinic!
Join us to help your neighbors in need in St. Petersburg and throughout Pinellas County!
Since the onset of the COVID-19 crisis, St. Petersburg Free Clinic has evolved and responded to the changing environment and increased need in our community. We maintain close communications with local medical professionals and public health officials about the COVID-19 health crisis. Additionally, we are continually monitoring the actions and recommendations of the Florida Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
St. Petersburg Free Clinic offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. Some require a minimum commitment of time – for example, we ask that those who volunteer in our drive-thru Food Pantry commit to 4 hours once per week for about three months. Some require licensing (Health Center and Dental Clinic providers). Whatever your availability and interests, we can likely find a great match for you. And, you will be making an immediate impact in YOUR community – helping your neighbors in need.
We update this list of current volunteer opportunities regularly.
- Health Center:
- Physicians (active Florida license required)
- Dentists (active Florida license required)
- Dental Assistants (pre-dental students OK!!)
- Food Programs:
- Drive-thru Food Pantry – Our Food Pantry is now set up as a drive-thru in order to keep our clients, volunteers and staff as safe as possible AND to help us meet the ever-increasing need in our community. The work is outdoors under a tent, and involves a good bit of moving and lifting. The pantry is open Monday through Thursday, mostly during business hours. We are looking for regular, weekly volunteers as well as those who are able to serve in an “on call” capacity to fill in when needed.
- Food Bank Warehouse – volunteers support our food programs by processing, sorting and packaging a variety of food donations. The schedule varies, but we work mostly in the mornings on weekdays.
- Bicycle Program:
- Help our team of mechanically-inclined volunteers who rebuild and fine-tune bicycles that are then distributed to clients at no cost to them.
- Administrative Support:
- Help support our Fundraising team and client support staff! Needs include data entry, filing, helping with mailings, and more. There are opportunities for admin novices and pros alike!
PLEASE NOTE: While the Free Clinic is following all guidelines and best practices to keep our volunteers, clients and staff safe and healthy, we want to emphasize that when you choose to volunteer during this critical time, you are accepting some risk due to the COVID-19 health crisis.
In many of our volunteer positions, you will likely be interacting with multiple clients per shift. If at any point you do not feel comfortable volunteering, we encourage you to step away for now (please let us know first, of course), and we will welcome you back at any time. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the volunteer team right away so they may be promptly addressed.
How to Become A Volunteer
The first step is to attend a Virtual New Volunteer Info Session. Here, you’ll learn about St. Petersburg Free Clinic’s programs and the many ways volunteers support our important work in the community.
Upcoming Virtual New Volunteer Info Sessions:
New Volunteer Info Sessions are now virtual! We use the Zoom platform for these meetings – you do not need to have a Zoom account to participate. We prefer that you join us from your computer, tablet or smartphone via video conference, and not just phone. We will be using a slide presentation that we’d like you to see (and not just hear about!), and we want to see your face so we can get to know you, and you can get to know us!
Please fill out the form below to sign up for an upcoming Virtual Info Session. Once you register here, we will reach out to you via email with the details about how to log into the session!
Due to the COVID pandemic, we are limiting our group opportunities to small groups (8 people or less). Group opportunities at this time fall mostly within our Food Programs and take place at our Food Bank Warehouse, Monday through Friday during business hours. If you are interested in group volunteer opportunities, contact the Volunteer Team at email@example.com.